Page 12

After the car show I needed to correct some interior and trim work and get the car ready for street use. This requires stopping the leaks and tuning the engine so it will run at a low RPM and be drivable. Found a major oil leak at a line fitting on the oil cooler and was able to weld it up. Also a brake line leak was found and modified to correct the problem. A small coolant leak was noted but I will just use a radiator stop leak to correct it.

It was necessary to make a new shift lever to allow room for my knee. The throttle pedal needed to be moved back a little due to the engine being moved back and the firewall moved. The clutch and brake pedals were moved to the left and thus not affected by the firewall. A smaller person will not need the shift lever changed. "Sew Unique", A local trim shop, made a new shift boot to match the odd shaped shift lever.

Interior11x1.jpg (32728 bytes)

Even though some MG purest might be upset to see very few MG parts in this picture I needed to alter it. The steering wheel is from an unknown car because I wanted a small diameter wood wheel with thick wood. This was because I love to go sideways a lot and I found from driving many different brands of sports cars and sliding them I found that a small wheel with a thick grip was best. I found this wheel on E-Bay and the owner said "I don't know what it came off of". That didn't matter to me because I was going to use my lathe to modify my MG hub to fit the new wheel anyway.

The top of the dash is handmade from aircraft aluminum from a airplane a friend had discarded and gave me the sheet metal. The dash pad is from a 67 MGB-GT that this car started as. I could not use the 67 dash because of the instruments needed. The transmission is a TR-7 5-speed so I wanted the speedometer for that car so that is why the TR-7 instrument cluster was used. The MG consol that normally had a radio speaker in it could not be used because I needed the space to put the additional engine controls. The rest of the dash needed to hold the added instruments that the cluster didn't have. Like, Oil pressure, Oil temp, Manifold vacuum, Fuel pressure and Air tank pressure.

On the consol is the Choke, Air distributor engage control, Air supply from the tank, Air to the air distributor and the Ignition advance control. The MSD knock sensor display is on top of the dash so that the advance control can be used correctly. A "G-Tech Pro" instrument will be mounted on top of the dash too. This is a "G" meter to measure horse power used on acceleration and can measure "G" loads on cornering.

Here are two additional pictures of the engine compartment after completion. The aluminum air foil in the center of the radiator is an air foil to direct fresh air over the radiator and down onto the carburetor and intake manifolds to cool them. Fresh air also enters a E-Type Jaguar grill on the back of the hood from the air pressure that builds in front of the windshield. Air pressure built up in the engine compartment from air under the car is exhausted through the front fender side vents. This also allows more air to get through the radiator. It was found that the rounded valance under the front bumper forced extra air under pressure under the front of the car and that high pressure under the engine compartment prevented some air from going through the radiator.

EngineComR1x1.jpg (57208 bytes)   EngineComL1x1.jpg (57275 bytes)

Next part is to make baffles for the 8 reverse cone megaphone exhaust pipes so I can drive it on the street. I plan to drive it to the next show and possibly to some other local rod shows.

Page 13

Home Page